Shabby1 Spring

Sunday, January 2, 2011

And so it begins....











I intended for this blog to be mainly about my attempts at turning a mostly shady, sandy/clay yard into a lush self sustaining garden full of vegetables to fill our bellies throughout each of the seasons, flowers blooming so plentiful that an armful of cut flora wouldn't even make a dent in the rainbow that would be my yard.

But.  Let's keep it real folks.  I haven't quite figured out where all the garden beds should be.  I can't tell my North from my South and forget about East/West.  When someone says drive North on Such'n Such Street and turn East on WayoverThere Street... I'm the gal that's looking like...the atypical deer in headlights-huh?-expression on my face. "So... do you mean towards the McD's or in the other direction?  If you can tell me the landmarks of what to look for, then I can figure it out!"  So, I'm not sure where the trellis should be in my (yet to be built) square foot gardening beds.  Not to mention, how, to even build my (yet to be built) square foot gardening beds.  I've got a HUGE pile of leaves.  That's a start in the right direction of composting, right?.  I've got loads of seeds for my future garden.  I managed to grow about 5 tomatoes last year.  (don't laugh!)

In other words, I have a lot to learn.  But I've been researching and reading so many wonderful, fantastic, information filled blogs that I feel like this is the year.  THIS IS THE YEAR!!!  I'm enthusiastic and stubborn, two helpful gardening traits, or so I'm told!  I'm looking forward to advice from all the successful and even the not so successful gardeners out there in blogland.

I figure this blog will be about my adventures and misadventures in the garden, along with some delicious, fresh recipes from the produce in your garden (or as in my case last year..from your local farmer's market! except those 5 tomatoes, can't forget those!)  I might chat a bit about my wonderful (and goofy) family.  I'll be doing some garden art/garden junk projects this year, some new walkways, LOADS of new garden beds and I'll be winter sowing some perennials soon.  Hopefully this will be a great source of information that I can look back on and use to make improvements for the next year's garden.

And so the adventure begins.  First thing on my TO DO list:  Buy a compass!  :)

In the meantime, because it's so gray and dreary outside right now, I'll leave you with some flowers from gardens' past to enjoy.

Thanks for stopping by!

~Wendy / Sassyb

11 comments:

  1. Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging! I know you'll have fun with it.

    Flowers are always welcome during the dreary days of winter, and I'm looking forward to your new vegetable gardening adventures to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is THE year! I hope you have a wonderful garden in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that you've broken the ice with your first blog post, you'll be blogging to your hearts content. You've got some lovely flower pictures and I look forward to reading about your gardening adventures.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wendy and welcome to the club! Blogging club. I laughed at your North-South thoughts. I am the same way. East and West are easier for me since I know where the sun rises and goes down. Happy gardening and blogging to you! Happy 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Wendy and thank you for finding me and becoming a follower - I have pleasure in doing likewise!

    Welcome to blogland, I'm sure you will find lots of inspiration for your garden and beyond!

    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your new garden and blog! You have a lot of fun ahead of you. I can't wait to see what you will be doing in your garden. If you want seeds to start for your garden, I will send you some tomato seeds and various other seeds if you want them. You can also get seeds from Trudi at wintersown.org and they have a lot of seeds available for a SASE on gardenweb.com in the seed exchange forum.

    Happy Gardening!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to the world of blogging! Looking forward to reading about your adventures in gardening. One clue about the East/West thing -- the sun rises in the East and sets in the West. It doesn't help you much with navigation, but it might help with siting plants in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to the Wonderful World of Garden Blogging!! I'm looking forward to reading your blog and watching your garden grow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to reading your blog. Beds are very easy to build. Here is one (out of many) web site to help you get started.

    http://thepioneerwoman.com/homeandgarden/2009/02/build-your-own-raised-flowervegetable-bed/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to blogging! No matter what grows and what doesn't you learn from it all.

    Maureen
    experimentalfarmer@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wendy, always look for beauty and joy in the garden and you will have the secret of a happy gardener...Thank you for visiting me
    at my garden....that I call,"My Open Bar of Joy"
    I'll be following along

    ReplyDelete