Shabby1 Spring

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Just who IS this Sassy Butterfly and why are her Musings so Chaotic?

I must admit, I've been hibernating a day or so.  It's been cold.  Well, cold for Georgia anyway.  I've been spending my time browsing (what seems like, hundreds of ) gardening blogs, making notes of what to do or not to do in my own garden this year.   I cleaned off the Gardening bookshelf and have been slowly thumbing through page after page of garden plans, flower pictures, square foot gardening books, lasagna gardening, small homestead DIY gardening, seed catalogs and plant nursery catalogs.  I feel like I've got gardening brain overload here!  I've got enough ideas to fill up about a hundred acres instead of the small yard I have.  But I'm all for the "let's see just how many plants and beds and trellises and garden art we can squash into this lil bitty square of a yard attitude." I did mention my stubborn side before, right?  :)

But first, let me introduce myself and my family, the cast of characters that surround me.  Some of which do help me in the garden but most of which would rather eat nails than lift a shovel.  And that is not much exaggeration either!  People pics are not current pics, I've been told I must have their approval before posting any current pics... so I went with the cute, older, adorable ones of my kids.  So there!  Mom rules!






My oldest - J

My middle - Z


My babygirl - K

I'm a wannabe gardener.  I'll be 40 this year.  (ACKKKK!!!!) (ok.. I'm ok.  really. *gasp.. ok !!)   I have 3 wonderful kids that keep me on my toes.  My oldest is 20, nearly 21 yrs old.  He was born with Spina Bifida and still lives at home with me.  He'll be starting college this year and I'm so very proud of him!!  He's the true gamer in the family and knows all there is to go on in the internet world.  Just ask him!  My middle child will be 17 in the next 2 wks and will be a licensed driver (*insert heart attack here..)  He is my wild child.  My 'there is never a dull moment when this one's around' child!  :)  My youngest (forever will be my baby) is my daughter who will be 14 this year.  We are in our 2nd year of home schooling because the middle school in our area was less than appealing.  It has been a real challenge but she has soared in ways that I never thought possible.  And I have been enjoying the personal time with her that most moms of teenage girls probably wouldn't get to have.  She's my babygirl and always will be!





Another member of our household is a young woman who needed a place to grow and be loved and this was the place for her.  She's currently in her 2nd job and considering college as well.  She's been a joy to have around.  (evens out the male/female ratio and that's always a plus!)   I have a VERY 'significant other', forever forward known as 'THE man' on this here blog.  heh  He's a wonderful great guy, he's my one and only garden helper that don't require payment at the end of a yard job.  We met about 5 yrs ago and I love him to pieces and he puts up with me and my sassiness really well.  ha!
Oh, sure, they're adorable at this size!  :)

The household members of the 4 legged variety are two 2-yr old Labrador Retreivers. (Altho.. they don't seem to connect with the retrieving portion of their name...)  Laylah is our little redhead, she's a bit tinier than her brother, Rex, who's basically a big black teddy bear.  They readily enjoy my garden projects in the fenced back yard.  They truly love to pull down tee-pee trellises, knock over pots, chew on pots and so forth and so on.  One of my greatest feats this year will be figuring out how to grow most of our veggies and herbs in the backyard AND teach those Neanderthals that not EVERYTHING is their latest play-toy!
The Queen of Fluff

Daisy is our wild cat.  She's been with us about 5 yrs now.  We heard her mewling under our old house and she was apparently a runt that a wild cat had abandoned.  A quick search on the internet and a trip to Wally world for powdered cat milk and a baby bottle and she was quickly adopted.  She has many strange quirks...  She actually LIKES water.  (may have been all the sink baths I gave her as a kitten after her feedings..?) She can climb trees but hasn't figured out how to get back down.  (we're on our 4th or 5th time now of having to climb a ladder and retrieve her)  Oh, and she LOVES Ben-gay.  Yes, you read that right... I found out the hard way after using it and rubbing it on my wrists and neck.  She goes NUTS over it.  She will try like the dickens to lick that cream off wherever you've applied it.  Plain weirdness, that cat.  She's beautiful and regal looking, stuck-up (unless she's hungry, then she'll love on ya), doesn't really contribute a thing except entertainment at her oddities, but she's a permanent member of our family.

Last, but certainly not least, is my lovable bunny.  Sir Gallihad Poopypants!  Yes, he truly does live up to his name too.  He is my fertilizer machine.  We found him on free  cycle and I instantly fell in love with his floppy eared furry self.  He is the SWEETEST thing EVER.  He will let you hold him like a baby and just snuggle up to you.  He loves to have his ears rubbed.  We're trying to house train him but, let's just say, we're still a good ways from finished.


Future members of our family:  (JUST KIDDIN' HONEY!)  (maybe! )

I really really want one of these!!!

Just sayin'....

4 comments:

  1. What a nice post!! Thanks for introducing your family to us! I just love that little pig!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, thanks for introducing your lovely family! I hope you get that cute, pink pig. I secretly long for a pygmy goat ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great looking family you have.
    I know just how you feel with garden overload. That's how I was when I first started my garden. It getting better... oh and I'm not one to follow rules.. you can get a lot into a small space. If you have seen my blog then you know what I'm talking about. Granny call it a jungle :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh this blog is going to be fun

    ReplyDelete