Shabby1 Spring

Sunday, January 9, 2011

SNOW!?!?

It's snowing way down yonder here in Georgia! (did that sound redneck'ish enough??)

We don't usually see this white stuff.

In fact, sometimes we go several years without seeing a single flake of it.

Usually we'll get ice 'storms'... loads of icy sleet that makes for some beautiful photos but isn't really much good for anything else.

The Northerners make jokes about us Southerners and the white stuff. They joke that we don't know how to drive in it. They joke about how we panic. They joke about how the mere mention of ACCUMULATION (*insert gasppp! here*) sends us to the local grocery stores where we stock up as if we won't be able to eat for a month.

The sad truth is all the things they joke about? They're 100% right! :)

Schools close down at any mention of ice, sleet or snow. Churches cancel services. Businesses just plain don't open or open later after the sun can shine down and do away with the stuff.

We had snow on Christmas day here this past year. It was gloriously beautiful. And we hadn't had snow here in Georgia ON Christmas day since 1881. Can you believe that!?!? Now, only a couple of weeks later, it's snowing again! Snow twice in a season around here is almost unheard of!

It's too dark out there to take any pics right now but the snow coming down against the porch light is so beautiful!! My daughter's comment was "Look mama! It's sparkles!!" :)

It IS beautiful. And although it's a nuisance to most people down here in the South, and we don't know how to drive in it, and schools close and people buy out all the bread, sugar and milk, and, apparently, pop tarts, every single time snow is mentioned... it is magical and beautiful and soft and oh so calming to me. Tomorrow, before anyone else is up, I'll go outside and marvel at how different everything looks dusted in white. I'll take lots of pictures and enjoy how pretty it is. I'll throw birdseed out for the birds and watch them dive bomb the squirrels that try to nab it. heh

Yep, I love snow.

For a day. Or maybe two or three. Till the kids get bored and the snow turns to just plain ice and muckiness. Till they eat me out of house and home. Till I'm just about ready to pull my hair out when I check the local news to find out that yes, school is indeed closed, again... and I look longingly at the bottle of wine in my cupboard. Yep. Snow is pretty. For a little while. :)

Here's a few pics from the day after Christmas. I'll get a few more tomorrow. Meanwhile, I'm planning a birthday party for the soon-to-be-17-year-old, planning the monthly menu, looking up a good homemade hot cocoa recipe and planning the homemade marshmallows that we'll be making to go along with it. Mmmmmmmmmmmm!






Stay warm everyone!

Hugs,
Wendy

5 comments:

  1. Hi - I found your blog through Granny Annie's blog. Good luck with your garden this year! I, too, have a mostly shady yard - it's a challenge!
    Here in my house in snowy New England, I use a really simple hot cocoa recipe that's pretty good: Just 1 tablespoon cocoa powder and two teaspoons of sugar added to 1/3 cup dried milk - add 1 cup water and stir! If you don't have/like dried milk, just use 1 cup fresh milk, warmed in a small saucepan. You can also use 1 square bakers chocolate (grated) instead of the cocoa powder, and in that case, I melt it slowly in the milk on the stove. Happy snow day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha...you southerners! Don't you let a little snow gitcha down *smirk*.

    I can say that, since I'm sitting in the sunshine again today, even though it is cold enough here to have our propane heater running. And I'm wearing a shirt, and a sweater AND a sweatshirt. Dang, that hot cocoa sounds pretty good right now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy,

    All you mentioned about snow and southerners is correct here in NC as well. I have seen schools close and hardy any snow to close them. Loved the gazing ball photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the snow as well! It's snowing here as I type this, and it's only the second one I've gotten to enjoy this season, since I spent Christmas in Pennsylvania where we surprisingly received none. I hope you enjoy your "sparkles"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the flashes of icy blue in these photos!

    I chuckled when I read your post. Exactly the same thing happens here in the UK Wendy, or to be more precise down here for us soft southerners! Scotland and the north of England are well used to snowy winters. Down here everything comes to a complete standstill, as so happened around Christmas time.

    We are never prepared for snow and for many years we didn't get any at all. Its nice to know its not just us:-) !!!

    Jeanne
    x

    ReplyDelete