Definition of
Shovel Butt (n): shov·el [ shúvv'l ] [ but ] 1. The intense pain that manifests in the butt cheeks; sometimes one more than the other, after an intense period of shoveling dirt in the garden.
I'm suffering from that term up there ^^ , as well as some of my Garden Web friends who have also recently admitted to it on Face book. My left cheek is suffering more than my right.. I guess I can attribute that to being right handed. (??) Ah, the joys of gardening! :)
I know, I've been a terrible missing in action blogger lately... but I
have been pretty busy!
The backyard is covered with at least 2" (and much much more in other spots) of leaves, pine cones, branches and other 'dog dragged in or chewed on' debris. I've been s-l-o-w-l-y making progress raking and leaf blowing, making pile after pile of leaves to compost and some to just plain burn. I've uncovered LOTS of metal junk that I guess my dad tossed out there some 20 odd years ago.. Some of it I think I will incorporate into the garden as either art or use as trellises for morning glories, or something like that. There is a HUGE wrench.. the size a small'ish giant might use.. I wish my Dad was around to ask what in the world he used that for!! :)
I've moved my 'new' compost piles 3x in the past month. I just can't seem to decide where to put them! I'm still drawing and making garden bed plans. I've been digging up the old garden beds my dad put in many MANY years ago and finding, to my surprise, AMAZINGGGGGGG dirt underneath. Turns out that leaf mulch definitely DOES do a garden good! I am definitely thrilled with that discovery! I have one bed left to uncover and dig up. The MAN got out there and helped me this past weekend.. (thank you honey!) we deemed it our 'Biggest Loser Garden Workout' and boy was it ever a workout! But if felt good too, ya know?
I've been tossing trellis ideas around and around in my head. I plan on growing a LOT of beans this year.. several different varieties, along with vining cukes and some smaller melons that can be vine trained. So I need sturdy trellis that don't require a lot of $$ to build. I'm still thinking on them.. I'll be sure to share what I come up with.
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to remove quite a few big pine trees in the back yard. There are at least 3 that are either diseased or have been hit by lightening, but it is ridiculously expensive to have them taken down. It's on the 'wish' list tho, that's for sure. I have only one area in the backyard that gets a great deal of sun and I will be cramming as many veggies and herbs in there as possible! :) I also have BIG plans for making beds in the front yard for the tomatoes and peppers and other more 'ornamental' veggies. The whole front yard is sloped so it needs quite a makeover. If I am unable to get the materials to make the beds before summer, then I'll just have to container grow as much as I can. It's not my first choice, but I'll do what I need to do to make it work!
I found some options in our county for free compost. I just need to find out if it's tested and if it's safe for edible gardening or just for flowers. One of my brothers recently bought a truck and has agreed to let me use it to haul some compost. Yay!
Questions: Do you HAVE to use bean innoculant? I've never ever used it before.. but apparently it's the thing to do nowadays. What's everyone's opinions on this stuff? Also, WHEN is the best time to plant out peas? I cannot seem to find an answer that people agree on.. The ground is definitely workable. Altho, here in our state it is not unusual to have another couple of sneaky cold fronts creep in. It's 70 today though.. The MAN says not to worry over it, just plant a few now and a few later and see which worked out best. He's smart, that one. :) I guess I just might do that!
I've drawn out some 'rough' ideas for the gardens this year. I'll scan and post them within the next week.
I've scouted out some long pallets at a local company and they've been laying outside for months now. I'm thinking I might call them up and see if they'll let me take them off their hands. I think they would be PERFECT to fence in the garden area in the backyard. I definitely need something to keep our dogs from digging in the beds. Apparently the smell of freshly dug dirt is to dogs what hot gooey cinnamon rolls are to me. Irresistible!
I'll leave you with some pics of the ongoing progress in the backyard.
Happy Gardening!!
 |
| Newly cleared out beds right off the back porch-gets only dappled sun at best. Still researching what would be good to put here. I would love to grow lots of herbs but I'm not finding that many that will grow in such low sunlight. Any suggestions? |
 |
| Back Main garden beds.. a BEFORE look... |
 |
| Back Main garden beds.. an AFTER look. See my pretty dirt!?! Gotta love that leaf mold! :) |
 |
| Even the dirt BETWEEN the beds is pretty luscious.. might have to dig some of that out for some other less fortunate beds! |
 |
| EVENTUALLY I hope this will turn into another garden bed. It gets great sun but right now is filled with overgrown privet and MASSES of sticker bushes lurking all in the soil. Let the fun begin! :) |
 |
| A hint at what MOST of the ENTIRE backyard looks like... minus the garden beds. Is there ANY use, really, for pine cones? Because I have lots and lots and lots and lots and lots....... |
 |
| An idea of just how much 'forest' surrounds my small garden area. I'm lucky to get the sun I am getting! p.s. That's my dad's old work shed.. it will be getting a makeover this year as well I hope. |
 |
| Laylah... she's just helping to warm up my garden soil for planting... right!?! I'm seriously going to have to get some fencing put up around these beds. She thinks we did all this work just for her. |
 |
| This is about an hour later... she's still busy warming the soil. Rex tried to get in on it but she growled until he got just outside the framework of the bed. Sly redhead... |
 |
| More leaves and pinecones.. and one of the dying pines that need to be removed. |
 |
| See the work that awaits me on the OTHER side of the back yard? ugh. Ivy takeover. |
 |
| Just a sample of some of the metal items I found buried under many inches of leaves in the far back yard. I think there will be some garden art made out of some of these. |
 |
| The 'GIANT' wrenches... cool huh? |
 |
| A sign of Spring's impending arrival.. and yet another bed that needs loads of TLC! Monkey grass takeover! |
 |
| I love these Crocus. My mom planted these many years ago and they come back every Spring to brighten up all the Winter dreariness! |
 |
| Last but not least, Sir Gallihad Poopypants (aka Gally) poking his nose out to say hi! |
Wow you have done a lot of work! Looks great. I have never used (in my 3 year) bean innoculant. Beans come up just fine and I think my harvest qty is good.
ReplyDeleteBeans will grow just fine without inoculant, but there is a chance that if you don't use it, then the bean plants won't fix nitrogen in the soil. Beans and other legumes put nitrogen into the soil, instead of taking it out like most plants, but they only do it if a certain bacteria is present in the soil. It's a symbiotic thing. The inoculant contains the bacteria.
ReplyDeleteIs that explanation clear? Clear as mud, right? Hope it made sense.
What a lot of wonderful rusty metal stuff you found! They will make awesome garden ornaments.
My goodness I'd be suffering from 'shovel butt' too if I'd done all that you did. Your work looks great though and you will be rewarded for all this hard work pretty soon.
ReplyDeleteHappy Gardening ~ FlowerLady
Wanna come to my house? Bring your shovel.
ReplyDeleteI've used inoculant on my beans and peas, and I've not used it. Can't say I see any difference. Once you've grown beans or peas, they inoculate the soil naturally.
My chives, rosemary and thyme do well on the north side of the house, in partial shade. Why not combine those herbs with some colorful lettuces and a few shade tolerant flowers.
Dogs think garden *beds* are sunny places made just for them to warm their bellies. Or, when it gets hot out, to cool their bellies. Mine would do a bit of munching on the veggies as they lounge, so fencing is a must. I plant extra carrots and beans, just for my two munchers.
Plant your peas now. Just as early as you can work the ground. Find out what your first and last frost dates are, email the info to me, and I'll copy a planting guide from my gardening bible and send it to you.
Mr. Poopypants is adorable!