Had a bit of excitement at the house tonight.. It was getting dark and looked like it was about to start raining and I had stepped out onto the back porch to move my tomato plant seedlings to the covered area of the porch when suddenly the wind just whipped up and I had a split second to think 'ooh.. that doesn't sound too good..' before 2 trees came crashing down onto the porch and roof. If I hadn't been leaning down with the plants .................. well, let's just say the grill where I'd been standing literally just a split second before was smashed flat. The roofing and framework came down and hit me on the head and knocked me down but, thank God, I was close enough to the edge of the porch that I was in the only area that wasn't fully brought down by the trees.. Zach crawled thru the bottom of the screen door and moved debris enough for me to crawl back into the kitchen.
VERY scary!!
Went to the ER and they put me on a heart monitor cuz my blood pressure was thru the roof, I was feeling 'slow' and they took me up for a CT scan on my head where the boards hit and my neck. Later, they took x-rays of my ankle and both knees... I was lucky enough to hobble out of there with only a minor concussion (daddy always did say I was hard-headed!!) and crutches for a bad sprain on my left ankle/calf muscle.
I know somebody was looking out for me up there... thanks mom!!
We had a roofing co. come out tonight and lay down tarps but the roof and some structure damage will definitely need replacing.. the back porch is pretty much obliterated. Not sure what other damage there is since it was dark by the time we got home from the ER.
One crazy night!!
I guess you could even say those tomato seedlings saved my life... I always knew tomatoes were good for me. :)
Sadly MANY of my tomato and pepper seedlings were completely smashed from that stinkin' tree... is it too late to start new ones from seed?
| I was standing just to the left of where this tree went down.... |
| Right behind this brown board is where I was when everything fell. Scary... |
Holy Moly! I'm so glad you got out of it with a minor concussion. My blood pressure would have been through the roof too. Hope you're taking it easy. Your best bet might be to buy tomato and pepper starts now.
ReplyDeleteI hope the cleanup doesn't take too long, and is covered by insurance.
Oh no! I was just commenting on another blog last night, that I hate to even turn the TV on in the mornings because of the catastrophic weather disasters that might be affecting my blog friends! Now this....I'm so sorry you were injured, but glad it wasn't worse.
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about your accident. Thank the Lord he was looking out for you. Most of the time this type of accident is covered under insurance. Those were wicked storms that passed through Georgia yesterday.
ReplyDelete