Shabby1 Spring

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Been Awhile...

I could say I've been busy with the kids and school ~ especially with homeschooling my daughter.  I could say we've been busy with the contractors doing all the repairs on the house from the dumb ol' tree that decided to plop itself down over my head.  I could say how busy I've been just trying to get my feet, knees and head to work 'right' again post-said tree fall over my head.   All of that would definitely be true, but it's also been just a case of 'there's just not a whole lot going on in the garden right now'.  Gasp.  I know.  Horrendous happenings for a so-called gardening blog!  :P

I've also been trying to decide where I want to go w/ my blog.  I definitely do still want to pursue many gardening endeavors as that is my biggest passion these days.  But I'd also like to share some recipes and well, maybe sometimes just rant about this or that.  I've been feeling my 'creative spark' slowly starting to re-ignite again.  I've discovered pinterest.  Wow, that site will just suck you in and before you know it, HOURS have passed!  If you have yet to discover pinterest.. beware.. it's utterly addicting and also utterly fantastic for creative ideas!

I think I've just been in mourning so long over the loss of my mom that *I* kind of lost my spark too.  I'm working on all that.  Physically.  Emotionally.  I'm in therapy, physical that is.  What?  You thought it was mental therapy?  puh-leaseee... I love my crazy.  :)  I just bought a button at a fair recently that says "I don't know karate but I do know CRAZY and I'm not afraid to use it!"  heh.  Cracked me up.  (Huh? Is some of my sass showin'.. )

Gardening is therapeutic.  It also hurts my knees, ankle and makes me all sorts of dizzy.  :P  But I just do a bit at a time.  The time things take is frustrating, but.. hey, at least I'm getting a lil something done, right?    I'm trying to build some new stair step beds in the slanted front yard.  So far I have one board in..lol.  But one is better than none, right!?!  I've also been swapping plants online with GW.  I have lots of new cuttings I'm about to start rooting that I'm very excited about.  I just received 3 thorn less blackberry bushes, along with 2 small Natchez thorn less blackberry plants I purchased off ebay a few weeks ago.  I have another GW friend that is swapping with me that is sending me a raspberry plant and a marion berry plant.  I have no idea what a marion berry even is.. but, by gosh, I'll try to grow it!  :)  I've also traded for lots and lots of bulbs recently.  An absolutely wonderful lady I met thru ebay sent me some Peruvian Daffodil seeds along with some Galanthus bulbs I bought from her.  I am VERY excited over both of these!!  I would love to grow my own blueberry plants as well, but considering we have a pick-your-own blueberry patch just 2mins down the road it hardly seems worth the effort.  If/When we do move from here those will be added to the wishin' list.  :)

I've also been trying to find 'virtual' work from home.  Not an easy task in this economy...but I feel certain the 'right' one will come along.  Even if it's various mini projects, that's fine with me.  Just need to get that income flowing again, no matter how small the amount.  I've found a few websites with various jobs.  But if anyone knows of anything that can be done from home, I'd love to hear about it!  There's not much on the administrative side that I haven't done, so I'm game for just about anything!

I'm planning on working on some crafts and hopefully finding someone to teach me some new skills such as quilting and canning, crocheting and photography.  I'll be sharing all my endeavors with you all as well.  It's gonna be a busy winter!

Last, but not least, I am hosting the Winter Sowing swap for gardenweb this year.  This is a HUGE swap with, literally, thousands of seed packets coming in.  But I am excited to be doing it and meeting lots of other winter sowers, filling gardeners' wish lists and just having a grand ol' time.  Join me if you like!  I'll be hosting the swap details this Saturday on the winter sowing forum.

Meanwhile, I'll leave you with a view from my sittin' spot on the front porch just a week or so ago.  Since then the leaves have started to turn golden and burgundy and fall to the ground.  Lots of yard work ahead, for sure, but it makes for some good compost!  :)

~Wendy



1 comment:

  1. You're such a busy little butterfly ;-) Now you're looking to take on even more....don't get yourself so overloaded that you're too tired to blog. I'm looking forward to all of your new content!

    ReplyDelete