Shabby1 Spring

Friday, April 22, 2011

~Happy Earth Day~

What Earth Day represents for me:
  • The garden planning, sometimes stressful, sometimes comforting, but always rewarding...
  • The constant vigil of checking accuweather.com to know whether to haul the plants in.. or out the next morning...
  • The seed swapping and purchasing, knowing each seed has the promise of a beautiful flower or a fresh vegetable to feed your family...
  • Forgetting to turn off the hose sprayer and getting a shot of water right in the rear as you bend over...
  • dirty hands.  Humor in the garden is always a good thing...
  • The fresh earthy scent of good soil....
  • Actually remembering where you put your shovel the last time you used it.  Forget the hoe.. that one's a lost cause...
  • Dragonflies and butterflies visiting your flowers....
  • The excitement you feel when you see the tiny little green leaf pop out of the dirt from the seed that you have sown.....
  • How secretly GOOD you feel when you flick that horn worm into the soapy water.. score 1 for you, score 0 for 'The Green Destroyer'...
  • To know there is always a place to let go and just BE...
  • How painfully good your muscles feel after a good long day of hauling dirt, no matter how much it may leave you hobbling tomorrow....
  • How pleasing it is to see that first fruit of your labor... and to realize it actually IS a fruit.. from your labor!......  (my strawberries - yum!)
  • Realizing a humming bird has come to visit and being as still as you can so you can just enjoy such a wonderful moment up close.......
  • The ability to create your own personal space in this great, big world that gives you peace and happiness...
  • How wonderful it is to find other gardeners to relate, discuss, or rant to whether in your community or here on the world wide web.  Seriously, I'm so thankful for all of you.....
  • Being able to sit and witness the wildlife enjoying the space you have created... and I DON'T mean the slugs.....
  • Being one with nature.  The ability to escape the day to day comings and goings and to-do lists and just enjoy nature.  It is also the place where I feel closest to my mom, as if she's looking down and smiling...
  • Feeling content after weeding a flower bed and knowing.. at least til tomorrow.. there are NO weeds there!......
  • That first bite of the season of a sun warmed, ripe, juicy tomato.  Seriously, is there anything better??...
  • The joy of opening your mailbox or seeing the UPS truck drive up and wondering what's going to arrive that to plant today......
  • Finally, after 2 years of coddling, getting to witness the first Clematis bloom from your mom's old plant.  Beautiful!.....
  • Knowing that I am growing food for my family and friends and what a wonderful feeling of satisfaction that is....

yea... this is what Earth Day is all about for me...

Mom's Blue Clematis  :)

2 comments:

  1. That just about sums it up!

    I love the blue clematis. I have a pretty little lavender one that the dogs kept laying on. I finally moved the poor thing, and didn't think it had a chance of surviving. I divided up the roots and made three plantings at the base of the garden fence posts. I got a few puny blossoms last year, but it looks like it's really going to take off this year! It probably helps that I put the new garden beds right up to them, so now they have excellent soil to grow in. I see that I've missed a root at the original site, so I need to dig it up and get it started at another fence post before annie makes her bed on it. Maybe some day soon the entire fence will be covered with clematis blossoms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post. I really loved thinking about all the different aspects of Earth Day.

    ReplyDelete