Shabby1 Spring

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Spring Flowers

Just some spring flowers in the garden that have made me smile this week....

Callibrachoa 'Watermelon' and 'Saffron'.  Birthday purchases for the new porch planters.  I LOVE the colors!

My best flowering azalea.  It's right near the mailbox.  Lots of monkey grass to clear out underneath but I just love the profuse blooms this plant puts out every spring!

Close up of my best azalea with unknown Iris bloom.  The Iris smells like grape kool-aid.

Wiegela 'Pink Princess'  The carpenter bees love these bushes almost as much as they love drilling in my front porch...

Back fence azalea.  A bit 'wilder' in form which I love.

Another back fence azalea

Leaf man.  Poor guy is in need of a nose job....

Another 'found' volunteer Japanese Maple!!  I'm so excited!!!  This one was camped out right under the azalea bush

Side yard azalea

Oxalis 'Copper Glow' and baby 'Peach Crisp' Heuchera, both freshly planted .  I am in love with this Oxalis!!

Peas I need to plant out..lol.  I used dollar store shelf baskets, covered with plastic shopping bags.. made holes and had an instant seed starter 'pot'  :))

Dicentra 'Alba'

Clematis "Kilian Donahue" with a cute lil fella on the petal.. do you see him?  A baby praying mantis!! yippeee

Another Wiegela 'Pink Princess'

Rose I was SURE I'd killed last year... coming back gangbuster style!  Don't mind all the nasty gooseneck loosestrife below.. that's coming out today!

My wild and crazy muscadine 'bush'... this vine grew about 30ft up into a pine tree... in all my 'smartness', I pulled the whole thing down and  shaped into a 'bush'..lol  It wasn't forming fruit in the shade so I am hoping this year now that I've pulled it into the sunshine that it will give us some muscadines! 

Winter sown seedlings (pic taken thru the 2liter top)

More Winter sown babies

And more wintersown pots.  These had plastic shopping bags over the pots with slits in them.  Worked like a charm!

This I am NOT too happy about seeing.. this is right smack in the middle of my front flower bed!  NO POISON IVY ALLOWED!!!!

My daughter has always made up offering plates for the fairies.. she'll be 13 this year and I walked out to find this in the backyard.  I love it that she still does this!! :)  

Rock bed azaleas

Purple Perilla.  Oh it's pretty. NOW.. but not so pretty when you find all these seedlings in your vegetable beds... lesson learned!!  These are surrounding the beds.. along with wild clematis.  This year I hope I remember to cut them down BEFORE they go to seed...

Lunaria Money Plant volunteer.  No money yet.....

Variegated Vinca

My mom planted these in this old washtub.  They are 2 redbud trees.. I'm not sure if she was trying to do a midsize bonsai or what... but I am leaving them there.  They don't flower probably because they are so stunted, but I love the heart shaped leaves just the same.

Bird feeder amongst the azaleas in the rock bed
Happy Spring!!!

2 comments:

  1. Your garden looks fantastic, especially your azaleas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just beautiful, Wendy! Thank you for the flower garden tour.

    ReplyDelete